How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. John Your Own Question
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 4995
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 65 pond lab ate about one teaspoon of flux. She now has

Customer Question

my 65 pond lab ate about one teaspoon of flux. She now has diarrhea. Should I bring her to the vet?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your girl has diarrhea.

I do have some questions for you.

You say she ate a teaspoon of "flux" did ypu mean flax seed?

How is she feeling otherwise? Appetite normal and normal energy level?

Any long term health issues?

How long ago did this occur?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Feeling ok.. she ate red Flux for soldering
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Ah, thanks very much.
And how long ago did this occur?

Do you have any 3% hydrogen peroxide?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about two hours ago. yes I have peroxide
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

There are many types of flux (I had no idea). Some are relatively harmless, but others contain high levels of lead, or zinc and some contain acid in the paste. If this has any sort of acid we do not want her to vomit it back up and frankly 2 hours later it may already be out of her stomach.

Do you have a list of ingredients?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I will just take her to the ER to be safe... Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Ok, to be safe I do not recommend inducing vomiting

Let's try to coat her gastrointestinal tract try to get this absorbed and out of her body.

Give me several moments to type up my recommendations.

That's fine. They will likely want you to call poison control, here is the info for that:

We are your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you think that your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call(888)(###) ###-####/strong>. A $65 consultation fee may be applied to your credit card.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Best of luck with your pup, please let me know how things go for her.