Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

There's a small bulb (like a popcorn kernel) outside my

Customer Question

There's a small white bulb (like a popcorn kernel) outside my dog's ear and he's whining whenever contact is made near the area.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Can you upload a photo of this "bulb" to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** Is this photo clear enough? Inside of ear is pink and healthy? Pain is only on ear with the bulb I noticed.

Thank you! That "bulb" appears to be a tick. You can dislodge it with a little tick-remover device available in pet/feed stores or you can saturate the area with an over the counter tick product containing fipronil such as Frontline (or many generics) and the tick should die and fall out without your having to pull it out. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I poured some tweezers in isopropyl alcohol then pulled the son of a bitch out! It had little legs! Thank you very much, Doctor!

Well done! Yes, indeed...a little head, too...

You'll see a transient foreign body reaction (inflammation) around the attachment site. It should abate within a few days. No treatment is necessary. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.