Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I Have a 1/2 black lab, she is 15 years old, she has had

Customer Question

I Have a 1/2 black lab, she is 15 years old, she has had diarrhea for about 1 month, she refuses to eat, even cooked chicken. My dog Missy ate some cat poop out of the kitty litter one time about 2 weeks ago but was around a dog that had hookworms. It was possible that she may have eaten the dog's poop that had the hookworms. Could my dog have gotten infected and if so would that give her diarrhea and no desire to eat. Thank you ***** *****
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Yes, Linda, that would be an easy manner in which to contract hookworm-causing diarrhea. A fecal ova and parasite exam would be an easy way to identify such an infection or you can presumptively worm Missy with an other the counter product containing pyrantel pamoate.

It's important to recognize, however, that at 15 years of age Missy can be suffering from a number of primary gastrointestinal disorders as well as metabolic disorders that affect the GI tract. While presumptive worming makes sense in any case of chronic diarrhea, I would also perform a senior/geriatric diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests on Missy. Treatment would then be predicated upon the findings in such testing. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.