Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

I am being told my dog of 8 1/2 years may have anxiety. I

Customer Question

Hello, I am being told my dog of 8 1/2 years may have anxiety. I was given Zylkene 450mg to give her. How will I know if this works if I work 40 hrs a week
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your issue with April. Can you tell me why your veterinarian thought she has anxiety? What was it that made them want to start the medication? Zylkene is more of a nutritional supplement (not actually a prescription medication) that is sometimes used as a first line of treatment in milk anxiety cases. Is this the first thing they/you have tried for her? How long has she been on it for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning,
April has had other issues in the last five years but I always thought I knew why. This time she tore up my new carpet at the back door landing along with destroying my basement door at the bottom of the steps with pulling some molding off around the door. Not to mention destroyed new linolium at the bottom of the steps. I cannot imagine her in this type of mood. I am speechless and went to the vet for some type of help. Of course they want me to go to a dog behavior place. That is out of my price range. She has been on the medicine for six days. Now you tell me that medication is for milk anxiety. I am a bit irritated at this time and i am going to call my vet regarding that to see what he says. April is outside on nice weather days but of course winter is approaching us and I don't know what to do. She was crated at one time but then she pryed the bars apart.
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

So sorry,my spell check changed the word "mild" to milk!!!

The medication is for MILD anxiety, NOT milk anxiety!!!

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

It does sound like she has separation anxiety based on what you were describing. If it was a one time incident that she did all the destruction, perhaps something was happening in your neighborhood that upped her anxiety level.

The main thing to know is that if the zylkene doesn't seem to be making a difference, there are other options out there. Other prescription medications, some of which aren't too pricey (fluoxetine, which is the generic for prozac, is available as a generic from human pharmacies and isn't too pricey). So there are other options if the zylkene doesn't work.

Once again, sorry for the mixup between "milk"and "mild"!!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The crazy thing is I won't know if it works until another episode. I work every day and her issues are sometimes far between
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

It is possible she is anxious when you are gone but only every once in awhile does it escalate to destructiveness. I would consider trying to video record her when you are gone. Many laptops are now set up with little cameras you can watch a live video from or if you have a smart phone you may be able to set it up like a "face time" (if you have an iphone) or similar live chat/skype situation. Point the camera in the area where the destruction happens when it does happen, and see if she has any abnormal behavior. The first hour that you are gone is probably the time that the most activity will occur. If you do notice any pacing/panting/barking/scratching/etc. you will know she is having some anxiety and can see if it decreases over time with the zylkene. Kinda a pain in the butt, but may be the only way to really evaluate her if she isn't destructive every day. Let me know if you have any other questions and I wish you the best of luck! If you have a moment to rate our conversation so that we can know if you were satisfied that would be great. Good luck!