How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19139
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog has ingested some Mum flowers. She has vomited some

Customer Question

My dog has ingested some Mum flowers. She has vomited some of them up. She is a small Poodle weing seven pounds. What should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. Unfortunately Chrysanthemum flowers are toxic to dogs and can produce symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhoea, salivation and incoordination.

You can confirm this information at the ASPCA poisonous plants database HERE

2. The normal treatment in the early stages would be to induce vomiting ASAP, but in your case this has already happened. All you can hope to do is to monitor your dog for present, like all toxins this is a question of degree, if she only ate a little then all you might see is vomiting and little else with the dog quickly returning to normal. But if more serious symptoms set in your best plan would be to have your vet handle the situation. There is no specific antidote, treatment would be symptomatic and would consist of a high level of support perhaps with IV fluids while the toxins naturally work out of the affected dog's system.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the chrysanthemum ingestion.

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Related Dog Veterinary Questions