Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My dog is foaming foam, has distended abdomen, and seems to

Customer Question

my dog is foaming white foam, has distended abdomen, and seems to be in pain (whining)
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, This is Dr. Jess and I am sorry to hear your dog isn't feeling well. How long has his problem been going on? How large of a dog is he?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 3 hrs
40 lbs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HELLO?
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry I am not set up to take phone calls, if you like I can opt out of the question and you can see if someone else can take your call. If not, I can tell you Based on the information in your description I am very concerned your dog could be experiencing what we called a gastric dilatation volvulus or GDV, also called "Bloat". This is an emergency situation and requires immediate veterinary treatment. I would strongly recommend that you take him to the nearest emergency clinic immediately. If he truly has bloat, the longer you wait to treat him the more his condition will worsen and the less likely treatment will be successful.

You can read more about the website http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=384

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry I can't take a phone call but I can live chat with you or opt out of your question if you want to see if another expert can help you

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

The foaming/drooling combined with distended abdomen and discomfort are all signs of bloat. We usually see it more commonly in larger dogs, but I have seen it in dogs 40 lbs and under as well.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you prefer I opt out of your question so you can try to get someone to call you back, or if you prefer to ask any additional questions via livechat with me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no do not call... I do not wish to be charged extra for this "help". Goodbye
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Ok, as I said, I would strongly recommend taking your dog to the emergency clinic immediately. Bloat is a life threatening condition that must be treated, usually with surgery. Other causes of a distended abdomen in a 12 year old dog would be fluid buildup in the abdomen, most often from a bleeding tumor, which is also an emergency situation.

Good luck with your dog. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If you don't have additional questions and have a moment, please rate your experience/satisfaction with our answer.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
Hi Henry,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay