Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

My yorkie chewed up an old memory foam pillow this

Customer Question

My yorkie chewed up an old memory foam pillow this afternoon. She has been very active all day but hasn't eaten or pooped since. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. Christian. Do you think she swallowed any of it? Is she trying to have a bowel movement but can't?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't seen her trying to make bowel movement. She did just throw up and it had a weird long white gummy substance. Could this be the plastics or polyurethane in the foam digesting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just attached an image
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The yellow chunks appear to be parts of the foam

Based on the picture, it is certainly possible that is what it is. It does worry me that she is vomiting since that could be a sign that she ingested some of the pillow that is causing a blockage in her stomach. For now, take away her food and water to let her stomach settle. In 4-6 hours you can start offering water and if she drinks and keeps that down then you can start offering small amounts of regular food. If she continues to vomit, becomes lethargic, can't have a bowel movement or develops belly pain then have her seen immediately since those are symptoms of an intestinal blockage. If you have more questions please reply back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's been about 6-8 hrs since she ate it.

If she chewed it up into small pieces like what is in the vomit then there is a chance that this will pass but may take a few days. Other than monitoring her there isn't much that can't be done at home except let her stomach settle and hope that the vomiting is caused by a simple upset stomach rather than a blockage.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She wouldn't eat wet food at all which was odd. Her belly really full and is sleeping now. Curious how long I wait to take her to get without pooping?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long to wait without her pooping before taking her to vet*

It's okay to wait another 12 hours or so unless she is trying to have a bowel movement but can't.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks

You're welcome. Good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One more thing...I read in forum that someone fed their dog peroxide to throw it up. I take it that isn't good advice and to not conduct any home remedies.

Peroxide will make a dog throw up but after 6-8 hours it is too late to be effective. There may have been some foam still in the stomach but most of it would have passed beyond the point where the peroxide will help. It won't hurt to give it but since he is already vomiting I'm not convinced it would help much, only upset his stomach more.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok

For future reference, the dose of peroxide is a teaspoon per 10 lbs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very helpful

You're welcome. Good luck.