Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My 7 year old boxer started having seizures a month ago, she

Customer Question

My 7 year old boxer started having seizures a month ago, she was put on saMe and they went away now off it they are back 7 today and she is extremely thirsty and incontinent ( not just with seizure) I can't afford another 400 work up and we are considering putting her down she's just miserable any thoughts
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your dog is having seizures. Was your veterinarian sure that the seizures were caused by the liver disease and not by other causes such as epilepsy?

The following is a link to a detailed discussion on seizure disorders and as you will read, liver problems are rarely the cause of seizures in dogs.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=560

I would be very suspicious of epilepsy based on your history and this is no reason to euthanize a dog. There are very inexpensive medications available for the control of seizures that do no affect the liver (like phenobarbital). They are Keppra, Potassium Bromide and Zonisemide. Your regular veterinarian can prescribe these and they will likely cost about $20-$50/month.

I know you also mentioned that you have financial concerns. Do you have a local humane society near you? They often have a full service veterinary hospital open to the public that is usually less expensive than general practices. You also can consider Care Credit. This is a health care credit card that you can use for yourself and your pets. Lastly, the ASPCA has an entire page dedicated to folks who want to help others with their vet bills. Check that page out at https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills.

I hope this answer helps you. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is Bella this evening? Any more seizures? Were you able to take her to a low-cost vet clinic for a second opinion on her seizures? Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for answering your question. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda