Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My Small dog has not eaten day.He just wants to lay around

Customer Question

My Small dog has not eaten for 2 day.He just wants to lay around and sleep.Norerly he is very active. He got a rabbie shot on thur 10-15-15.Would this be the problem?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. It isn't uncommon for some dogs, especially small dogs, to run a fever and even be a little lethargic or inappetant after a rabies vaccines, but it typically lasts no more than 24-36 hours. Going on 2 days, I would be more concerned about either a more severe reaction or even something else going on, such as liver, kidney or pancreatic problems, something he ate or even a foreign body obstruction. If he hasn't perked up by tomorrow, my best advice is to have your vet check him out to make sure nothing more serious is going on. They may be able to at least prescribe something to help with either inflammation or appetite. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.