Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

My golden is ten months, she went into heat about one and a

Customer Question

My golden is ten months, she went into heat about one and a half months ago. She's been moaning the past few days. Also having soft stools. She sometimes has a fishy smell coming from her Anya-I think its backed up anal glands. Concerned about the moaning-stomach pains, or could she be in heat again?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with Maisy today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Has she had problems with anal glands in the past? Any scooting? How is her appetite? Any vomiting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No scooting, and appetitive is okay. Based on the smell and where it's coming from, my guess is the anal glands.

Okay thanks for the additional information. It is not likely that she is in heat again because dogs go into heat ~ every 6-7 months, so she is not due for another heat cycle for another few months. When you say moaning does she seem uncomfortable in her abdomen? The soft stools may indicate something going on with her digestive system. So either she may have eating something that has not agreed with her or something is else is going on. I would recommend having her fecal sample tested to rule out any parasites. You may need to also put her on a bland diet to rule out diet as as a reason. As far as the anal glands, if they are a big issue, I would expect her to be licking at her rear, or scooting. You may want to have them checked out to make sure they are not infected. If they are infected or impacted they can be considerably uncomfortable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not especially, she still acts like a big baby when we rub her stomach. She'll just sit down and cry. It's a moan cry though, unlike her whining cry. What do you mean by a bland diet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her stools were tested maybe two or so months ago and came back clean

Is she on a monthly heartworm preventative? A bland diet typically consists of a homemade diet of boiled chicken and white rice, or a prescription diet such as Hill's I/D or Purine EN which you can purchase at your veterinarian. Does she seem painful anywhere like her hips? I would start with the anal glands especially if it is not normal for you to smell them to see if that it the main problem. She may also may be experiencing some anxiety. Have there been any major changes in her environment?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is not on a heart work preventative; she doesn't seem to be in pain anywhere as she still enjoys full rub downs. The smell had been around three weeks or so ago then went away.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only changes have been Halloween decorations in the neighborhood, but, again, the moaning began shortly beforehand

Is she have soft stool with every bowel movement or only with some of them? If she is not on monthly heartworm preventative and she is having consistent soft stools I would still recommend having the fecal sample checked again because dogs can pick up intestinal parasites at any time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not constant, it's only occasionally soft stools.

Okay based on that information then I would recommend having her anal glands checked . If anal glands are the issue, it is likely a easy fix and they may just need to be expressed. Otherwise If she is not showing pain anywhere than I would think that she may be developing anxiety if the anal glands are proven to be normal

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay; thank you

You are welcome, let me know if you have any other questions