Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a american eskamo min. yesterday he started diarria

Customer Question

i have a american eskamo min. yesterday he started diarria and throwing up. today if he drinks water he throws it up within a few minutes. what can i do? he will not eat.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- How much does he weigh?

4- Is he lethargic?

5- Is he drinking more than usual?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. not that i know of
2. no
3. about 40 lbs.
4. yes
5. some what
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pink
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, he is not eating because he does not feel well. The big question is: Why is he vomiting and has diarrhea? This can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Pancreatitis, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, tumors or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. The fact that this has been ongoing since yesterday I am concern about his hydration. For this reason I would strongly recommend having him checked tonight by ER veterinarian, they can start him on supportive care (IV fluids, anti emetic, etc.) while attending veterinarian runs some testing to try to determine the exact cause for the vomiting and diarrhea. If you do not have access to ER vet this is what you can do until he is seen by family vet in the morning:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting you can offer small amount of water. Do not let him drink excessively. Then, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination, blood work and xrays as initial screening test.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter