Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Is human gabapentin bad

Customer Question

Is human gabapentin bad for dogs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today!

Gabapentin is commonly used in pets to manage pain but it is dose related so a small dog should have the medicated formulated for them and your veterinarian involved in treatment to ensure there are no contraindications for its use and to ensure proper administration is followed

Did your dog ingest gabapentin and you are concerned about the side effects or are you considering its use for your pet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dog ingested human pill 300 mg by mistake
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

OK and how much does your dog weigh please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
7 lbs
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

OK that will cause fairly significant sedation for a dog that size. If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 1 tsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

The typical starting dose is 4-10 mg/kg and with your dog weighing 7 pounds (3 kg) that would be 12-70 mg. The dose ingested is 100 mg/kg so as you can see ten times the high end starting dose for his or her size

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Was this within the hour? Luckily this medication is very safe but will cause heavy sedation and ataxia or walking drunk. I would not advise this be absorbed if it is within an allotted time to induce vomiting. If no peroxide please consider a veterinary er to give stronger medication to induce vomiting and activated charcoal to minimize further absorption of the medication

Does this information make sense? Pleas let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. How is your dog doing since we spoke? Were you able to induce vomiting? I am online another 10 minutes this evening and would love an update and if you have any additional questions or comments.

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman