Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog was t by a car yesterday. Since then she hasn't moved

Customer Question

My dog was hit by a car yesterday. Since then she hasn't moved her hind leg and does not put any pressure on it when she walks. An hour after the trauma she urinated bright red. She slept all night , with a few whimpers here and there. About 16 hours later she urinated dark brown. She hasn't let us touch her leg, except for just recently. On inspection it appears swollen and bruised but she's is no longer screaming out when I touch it. I know I should take her to the nearest animal hospital, but unfortunately that is not an option for me. I am terrified and very sad, I don't want her to die!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about what happened to Juicy. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

It sounds like she has a broken leg, or possibly a broken pelvis. That is painful, and can have complications, but usually is not fatal.

I am more worried about the urine being red, and now brown. It is possible her bladder ruptured when she got hit. That could cause her to die, if that is what happened.

It is heartbreaking to think of her with a broken leg, not getting anything for pain, and if her bladder is ruptured, not only is she painful but she is in danger. You need to take her an animal hospital right away. You can't help her at home. If you don't want her to die, you need to get her to a hospital. I am a veterinarian, and I could not help my own dog with these injuries at home.

I hope the red and brown in her urine is only from trauma and internal injuries, not a ruptured bladder.

Here is a website that lists places that can help with vet bills:

https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills

Let me know how she is doing. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hi Joanna,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Juicy. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Juicy doing?