Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

What can I give a dog with diarrhea? She a very small dog

Customer Question

What can I give a dog with diarrhea? She a very small dog about 8 pounds and we are traveling.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now if she has diarrhea, we do need to tread with care since this can be caused by a range of agents (ie bacteria, viruses, dietary indiscretions, parasites, and ingestion of harmful items). Though in regards ***** ***** care for the moment, we do have some options. To start, you can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that it will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. So, it should get more nutrients in and result in less diarrhea. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Further to this, as long as you have not seen blood in her diarrhea, you can also start her on a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if the cause were infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p/page1.aspx).This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, etc) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI.

Overall, we do need to always be cautious when small dogs have diarrhea since the risk of dehydration and nutrition loss is high. Therefore, we'd want to initiate the above at this stage and make sure she keeps drinking well. Of course, if this isn't settling, then we may need to have a local vet check her +/- a stool sample in case we have an infectious agent that needs antibiotics or anti-parasitics to settle this for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. This will help.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. ** Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with any issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)