Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My Yorkie is having mouth problems and has a real bad

Customer Question

My Yorkie is having mouth problems and has a real bad breath. The vet wants to do surgery but I just can't afford it right now. Is there anything I can do to take care of the odor. He needs teeth pulled.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Little Bit. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

The bad odor is from the bacteria infecting his bad teeth. Having the bad teeth cleaned, and pulled if they are too far gone to save, is the best way to get rid of the odor.

When I see dogs with this problem, that can't have the dental work done because of health, age, or financial reasons, I do try a course of antibiotics to treat the bacteria and infection. The smell will come back when the antibiotics are stopped, but we sometimes do "pulse therapy", or using antibiotics intermittently, as needed.

There are products that contain parsely, charcoal, and other odor absorbing ingredients that you could try from your vet office or pet store or online. These come as sprays, water additives, and dental treats.

Let me know what else I can help with or answer. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Little Bit. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Little Bit doing? I hope you were able to see what I sent.

Can I help with or answer anything else?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for your comments. I called local vet and was told to brush Little Bit's teeth more often. No mention of anything that you had suggested. I will brush teeth more often but I will look for suggested products to lower the bad breath. Thanks so much for you answer so timely. Sorry for my slow reply. Trying to get ready to go out of town.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome.

Brushing will prevent new tartar from building up, but will not remove tartar that is there.

Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else. Kindly consider rating my answer; that is the only way the website credits me for helping you.