Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 12yr old miniature schanauzer who has developed CHF

Customer Question

Customer: i have a 12yr old miniature schanauzer who has developed CHF I am currently giving her 4ml injection twice a day but I don't see her expeling the water despite the fact that she constantly drinking water aneliminating. Looking for alternative holistic that I can use inconjunction with the current protocol
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She was diagnosed a year ago, and I was gving her Vetmedin and Enalapril. on or about May/June her condition got worse. The heart specialist says that she has failure on both sides of the heart which is why the fluid is backing up into her belly. She has lost alot of muscle but is basically a happy dog so I don't see her in pain. When the fluid gets bad though she sound like she is drowning. The injections started only a week ago and I did notice less episodes of this
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Holistic is defined as considering the whole body when addressing just a part. Any good practitioner should be practicing holistically. Did you mean that you were looking for alternative homeopathic and other methods for your chnauzer? If so, please restate your question with mention of the particular methods you're interested in - acupuncture, herbal, Dr. Bach's flower remedies, cold laser, etc. For now, it's imortant that your schnauzer's specialist know that your dog's urine output isn't consistent with the amount of diuretic you're administering. That's worrisome for renal insufficiency which is all too often found concomitantly with cardiac insufficiency.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?