Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

Our 11 year old poodle has been diagnosed with diabetes and

Customer Question

Our 11 year old poodle has been diagnosed with diabetes and we have been told he needs two days of monitoring and to start a regime of daily insulin shots and blood checks. We can't afford, nor qualify for insurance to start this procedure.
I have read myriad articles and viewed tutorials about natural ways of controlling blood sugars through a common sense plan of raw organic meats, exercise and eliminating most grains from the diet.
It sounds like the ideal solution. I just need to know what to do in the immediate. He seems to be suffering. I can't get him to eat (except for a tiny little bit of raw organic steak.) he is shaking. He has had dark black diarrhea. He has lost a lot of weight. I don't know if he is dying or will "work" himself out of it with a new diet?
I am just looking for something to relieve the pain he is enduring as he "recovers" or if it is only going to remain the same or get worse where I need to face a much harder decision.
Thank you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this .Unfortunately when a dog becomes diabetic they are truly insulin dependent. Their body can no longer make insulin. So it is imperative for him to take insulin and to eat a diet prescribed by your vet. The weight loss indicates that your dog may be coming ketotic. This is a very serious metabolic condition and it is life threatening. Feeding raw organic meat will not fix diabetes in a dog.

I do understand completely your situation with not being able to afford the proper treatment. It is a tough situation but if you are unable to afford the correct treatment for this condition then your pet would be much better off if you let him go peacefully. Any attempts you make at home to treat this are unfortunately going to fail and just result in more misery for your dog. I do hope this helps you and I am available for follow up questions as I check my computer each night. Most Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as this is the only way I am compensated. Thank you.