Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Dog 63 days in whelp, yellow discharge. Carrying a

Customer Question

Dog 63 days in whelp, yellow discharge. Carrying a singleton.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Monica.

In last gestation, there's often a mucousy colored or greyish or clear discharge prior to delivery of puppies so what you're seeing may be normal. If it has a strong odor, however, or green or pus colored, then this may be cause for concern and a vet visit would be prudent. I'd be worried that she may be losing the pup she has or there might be a vaginal infection or possibly another bacterial infection present.

I hope this helps and that what you're seeing is no cause for concern. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

By the way, I wouldn't give her calcium tablets now; I'd wait until after the pup is born. Problems can develop if you supplement during pregnancy.

Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The yellow discharge does not a smell. She has had a litter before but I have never seen this. So you think that she has vaginal infection? how could this have happened?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to add, she does have an anal gland problem that has been dealt with by the Vet, but she still has this problem! so you think this singleton is dead?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

That's good that the discharge doesn't have an odor.

I can't know for sure that she does a bacterial infection, of course; I only wanted to list the possible explanations for the discharge that you're seeing.

And, I don't know if the singleton is dead or alive at this point. Certainly an ultrasound could determine if the fetus is still viable.

I think it just as likely as not that what you're seeing is normal although without actually seeing it, I can't know for sure.

In most cases, we have no clue why dogs might develop vaginitis (if that's what this is) or a uterine infection. But in many cases, bacteria can travel backwards from the vaginal area and create problems.

Or exposure to pathogens such as E Coli can be find their way to the blood stream and settle in different places in the body.

Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She had black tarry stools this morning, temperature has dropped to 37.7C. I saw the yellow discharge this morning only when I checked her vulva. What would be the cause of the yellow discharge?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Unfortuantely, I don't believe that I'm going to be able to help you since I have to step away from my computer to help a neighbor who has health issues. I'm terribly sorry for the inconvenience but I'm going to opt out of this question which opens it up for other experts to respond.

Please do not respond back to me, otherwise other experts won't be able to access the question.

Best of luck with Monica. Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I don't receive a reply I will cancel my money transfer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
24 hours just doesn't cut it.