Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I gave my dog 800 mg of gabapentin instead of 400

Customer Question

i gave my dog 800 mg of gabapentin instead of 400
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today

How much does Meli weigh?

How long ago did you give this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
14 pounds
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
30 minutes ago
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now this is a major overdose and the risk of sedation, collapse, lowered blood pressure, heart rate, and breathing rate are a risk. Therefore, since it has only been 30 minutes, we'd be best to induce vomiting now. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Overall, this is a very high dose and we need to act fast to counter the risk here. Therefore, use the above not with Meli. Any issues doing so or if you cannot get him to vomit, then we'd be best to have him to his vet urgently for decontamination. In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/or

www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions,please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. If Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with any issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)