Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My chichuai has not quit moving since 10:30 last night and

Customer Question

my chichuai has not quit moving since 10:30 last night and she has had a dose of phenobarbital and then a couple of hours a half dose but it doesn't seem to help plus she is having a lot of saliva so I'm very concered
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Has she had access to anything (ie drugs, toxins, human medications)?

Has she had a seizure yet?

Do you have any other medication at home for her and her seizures (ie Diazepam)?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Since I have not heard back from you, I do want to send a wee reply while I await your reponse.

Specifically, it is important that you know that Phenobarbital does not work that way. It takes days for it to reach therapeutic levels, therefore you do not want to keep giving her more while trying to address an issue at the moment. It won't help and you are risking overdosing her.

Instead, if she is agitated, you need to keep her calm by placing her in a dimly lit, quiet room. We want to reduce stimulation as all her signs are raising concerns of am impending seizure. And if you have Diazepam from her vet, you could consider giving her a half dose just now.

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Melissa,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Scrappy. How is everything going?
nekovet