Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Not sure if my dog ate advil that was in a baggie in my

Customer Question

Not sure if my dog ate advil that was in a baggie in my briefcase. the baggie was torn up and all the pills on floor. We tried to give her hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting but she hasn't thrown up. She is a 130 lb newfoundland. Should I try again. We are broke and cannot afford to go to the vet.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today

Can you please tell me the mg of the advil and the quantity that is suspected to be ingested?

Also what amount of peroxide you administered? She should have 3 tablespoons as a maximum dose for a dog...

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Advil is 200 mg. There were several in the baggie and I don't know if she ingested any of them. We gave her 2% hydrogen peroxide and 10 teaspoons since we read to give 1 tsp per 10 lbs. She was walking all over the back yard after the hydrogen peroxide and drank but nothing happened.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

You can try repeating the peroxide, 10 teaspoons is almost equivalent to the 3 tbsp so that is absolutely fine.

Just to clarify, several meaning 2-3 or did you suspect there were more in there?

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was hard to tell. There were approximately 15 or 20 on the floor untouched.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

So let's say that 3 advil 200 mg were ingested equaling 600 mg total

Delilah being 130 pounds (59 kg) and ingesting 600 mg would mean that the ingestion was approximately 10 mg/kg ingestion

25-125 mg/kg shows vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain, anorexia
> 175 mg/kg All of the above plus hematemesis, melena (blood in stool), polyuria or polydipsia, oliguria, uremia, acute renal failure

So let's hope that if any were ingested that it was only a few tablets because that will only reflect gi upset as listed above

I would try another round of hydrogen peroxide and either giggle her belly for a few moments to agitate the lining of the stomach or walk her around as an alternative. No water please which will dilute the peroxide

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If she still doesn't vomit. Then what?
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

If you are able to induce vomiting then wait a few hours and give a dose of pepcid (famotidine) 20 mg 1 & 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for a few days or alternatively prilosec (omeprazole) 40 mg 1 & 1/2 tablets orally daily and wait until morning to feed a bland diet of white rice and boiled chicken in small more frequent meals

If you are not able to induce vomiting then please give the antacid now and a meal of the bland diet to protect her stomach and reduce absorption of the medication

If she ingested several more of the advil then suspected then there is a concern that this might lead to issues with her kidneys and if at all possible I would advise having bloodwork done on her Monday to ensure her kidney function is normal. Because it can be several days that a dog can act perfectly normal before having issues with kidney disease

I hope this makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both tonight...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am online another 10 minutes this evening if I can be of any further assistance to you both

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon, how is Delilah doing after we spoke yesterday? Did she vomit any advil? Any ill effects from the possible ingestion? I would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!