jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

My dog was waging her tail fine earlier today but when we

Customer Question

Hi there. My dog was waging her tail fine earlier today but when we went in a walk I noticed her tail was down and she keeps trying to bite at it. She can still wag her tail fine I don't see anything wrong with it. I applied pressure to it and she didn't seem to mind it. She is just not acting as hyper as she normally does. Thank you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Where on her tail is she biting at? Is it at the base of the tail, or other area of the tail?

If it is not actually on the tail, is it around the rectum or in front of the tail on the back?

Has she been swimming or had a bath recently?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I gave her a bath earlier this morning. And she is biting/licking around the base of her tail and around the rectum and around the tip

JaCustomer,

Thanks for the additional information. This could be a few different things. Depending on what you used to bathe her, she might be having an allergic reaction to the shampoo or soap. You could try some benadryl at a dosage of up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours. The areas you describe are ones where some residue from the shampoo might remain as it can be hard to rinse the soap off in those areas.

There is a condition "cold tail" that Labradors, English Pointers, English Setters, Foxhounds and Beagles sometimes get which causes them to hold their tail close to the body. It frequently occurs after swimming or a bath. You can read about it here.

http://www.geocities.com/ccrhearts/Tail.html

http://www.thelabradorclub.com/oldsite/cold.htm

It is possible that this is what you are seeing with your dog. With cold tail it sometimes takes up to 2 weeks for the tail to recover. Some owners feel the administration of anti-inflammatory medication aid in a faster recovery.

Dog's have sebaceous glands and perianal glands at the base of their tails. Sometimes, these glands can become clogged and swollen. A warm compress on the spot and cleaning with Benzyl peroxide gel may help with the problem. I would also use some Neosporin or triple antibiotic cream on the area as well. Dogs with this swelling of the sebaceous gland may have a problem with hypothyroidism or a hormonal imbalance, so I would suggest you have your dog seen by your vet if you do not see improvement.

It may be that she injured her tail, so you will want to check her tail over well. She could also have a problem with her anal glands which will cause a dog to hold their tail down as well. The anal glands are 2 sacs on either side of the anus at about the 4' o'clock and 8 o'clock positions. If your dog is continually licking their anus and dragging it, it could also indicate that they are full. This problem can usually be resolved by emptying out the glands. To empty them or express them, you will want to cover the area with a tissue and press your finger on the dog's anal glands with an upward motion. A foul smelling liquid should come out. If nothing comes out and your dog appears to be in pain, you should take him to the Vet. Your vet can do this easily, as he is experienced at it.

Excellent site on anal glands

http://www.dr-dan.com/analsac.htm

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anal_sacs.html

Now since she did recently have the bath, that is a likely cause for what you are seeing.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.

I

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you mayrequest me in the future. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.