Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My chihauhua has been bitten by a rattlesnake (I thinK) s

Customer Question

My chihauhua has been bitten by a rattlesnake (I thinK) his leg is very very swollen and he wont let me get close to it as he tries to bite me, he only weighs about 10 pounds and he is about 13years old
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

All dogs that are bitten by a snake, regardless of their apparent hemodynamic stability, should be hospitalized for a minimum of 8 hours to assess for clinical signs that may first manifest during this period. IV fluid therapy is the first line of therapy to treat hypotension (low blood pressure) or hypovolemic shock (shock due to cardiovascular collapse). Antivenim should be administered immediately; increased survival is seen when it's given close to the time of the bite but beneficial effects are noted for at least 60 hours after envenomation.

There is nothing of value that can be done for these dogs at home. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish but I'd rather you were on your way to a veterinary ER.