Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Our dog recently ate a 1.75 oz bottle of cake sprinkles.

Customer Question

Our dog recently ate a 1.75 oz bottle of cake sprinkles. They are chocolate-flavored, but I am not sure if they contain the same harmful ingredients as chocolate.
The ingredients are: Sugar, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (cottonseed, soybean), cornstarch, cocoa processed with alkali, dextrin, carnauba wax, confectioner’s glaze, soy lecithin, natural and artificial flavor.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since she ate the cake sprinkles?

2- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure when she ate them exactly. Sometime in the last 1-1/2 hours. Yes we have HP 3%
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Let's move quickly and try to induce vomiting with peroxide. This is what you can do:

1- Give her 1/2 (half) tableof hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow her to walk for a minute and move her belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If she does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- Please let me know if she vomits. I will be here on stand bye for 20 minutes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the late reply. We ended up rushing her to the animal hospital. Sorry for not letting you know sooner, but once we found one open, we rushed right out. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Fair enough. I hope she is doing well. Thank you for the update.