Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog (a Shih tzu)has a herniated disk leaving s back legs

Customer Question

My dog (a Shih tzu)has a herniated disk leaving his back legs unworkable. He has sores on his privates from him using the bathroom on himself. I give him several baths a day. I discovered today his left eye is swollen at the top it's a light pinkish color? Is this from him licking his sores?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

This poor guy. He's been through so much. What a survivor.

I cannot link the eye swelling with the sores on his hind end. I think this may be a different problem. There are many possible causes for swelling in this area ranging from a insect/spider bite/sting to acute allergic reaction to trauma. If the swelling has been slowly worsening, then acute allergic reaction or bite/sting is more likely. In that case you could safely try administering Benadryl (diphenhydramine) at 1 mg per pound every 12 hours. IT may cause some drowsiness but no anticipated other issue.

With regard to other issues to look for, you should look at his pupil and make sure it is the same size as the other eye. This is best checked by shining a small light into his eyes (a penlight or small flashlight). If you notice the pupils are not the same, then this is an indication he really needs to have an exam today. That may mean he had some trauma in which case treatment now would be indicated.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have.I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.