Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

He woke me up with a wierd short cry. started pacing around

Customer Question

He woke me up with a wierd short cry. started pacing around the house at 3 am. I went back to sleep after letting him outside for a short time. I awoke at 8am. He usually stays on my lap while I watch tv. He has been restless. I tried to lay down with him at 2pm for a nap.. He made that wierd cry and jumped out the bed. He usually is a lazy dog. he is going to be 11 years old in Dec. He's a rat terrior. He has had some irritation between his toes that he's been licking for a couple of days. It's red and maybe a little swollen. He has eaten and drank water but still not laying down.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry that there's been a delay in answering your question. I suspect that the delay is related to the fact that Ziggy is displaying some very nonspecific signs that we aren't going to be able to really diagnose online.

When I hear about pets who are suddenly unwilling to settle, I consider either pain or anxiety high on my list. The most common cause of pain that is "vague" like this is back pain. Some dogs will act completely out of sorts when their back is sore - especially if it's difficult to lay down. Having said that, though, without doing a physical exam, we really can't localize the potential source of pain or offer much advice on where it came from or how to treat it.

It could also be that he's in the early stages of some other illness - for instance he's nauseous and about to begin vomiting or crampy and about to begin having diarrhea. In these cases, it really is just a "wait and see" on what will happen next.

Sometimes they can also be sensing (hearing, smelling, feeling) something that is causing them great anxiety. I've seen dogs react to all sorts of odd things that you'd never think would frighten them. In these cases we need to observe them closely to see if we can trigger the source of the anxiety.

I've seen plenty of dogs who have discomfort from itching - you did describe that he's been licking in between his toes - if this is bothering him quite a lot, it could also be the cause of his reluctance to settle. How is he doing now? Feel free to reply with an update on his condition and more questions.

~Dr. Sara

******************************

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! Thank you so much :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He doesn't have diarrhea or hasn't vomited. Still watching. I'll see how he sleeps tonight.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply - that is reasonable given the nonspecific nature of his signs. Let me know what other questions I can answer for you :)

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rhonda,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Ziggy. How is everything going?
Doc Sara