Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Im babysitting a dog and she threw up all night and her

Customer Question

Im babysitting a dog and she threw up all night and her breakfast this morning what can I do for her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 13 years.

Is there any chance she ate something that she shouldn't have... either people food, or chew on a toy or blanket? Dogs can get mild stomach upset and vomit once or twice, but when they vomit as much as you are describing I really worry that it is something more serious than just mild stomach upset. The most common thing would be pancreatitis. Most dogs with pancreatitis require prescription anti-vomiting medication. Many of them need hospitalization because they can become quickly dehydrated.

I would recommend taking her to a veterinarian for evaluation. Can you contact her owners and see if that is something that they want you to do? If you can't take her to a veterinarian right away then I would not feed her any more food. You can give her small amounts (1/8 cup to start) of clear liquids... water is fine or diluted chicken broth. If she drinks it and holds it down she can have more in and hour. Small amounts of liquid every hour or so for 12 hours. If she can't hold down the liquid or will not drink, then she really has to go to a veterinarian or she will become dehydrated. If she holds down all the liquid for 12 hours then you can try a little bit of bland food... such as white rice and low fat cottage cheese.

I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions please let me know.