Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I just picked up a new puppy last night that is 3/4

Customer Question

I just picked up a new puppy last night that is 3/4 Chihuahua and 1/4 yorkie. He was born on august 12 and they said that he had been wormed and was not due to be wormed again until nov 13. He just pottied and there were some little white worms and he scratches like he may have some fleas what do i do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Go ahead and worm him with both an over the counter product containing pyrantel pamoate which will address all of the nematodes (roundworms, hookworms, and whipworms) as well as an over the counter product containing praziquantel which will address the tapeworms I believe you're currently seeing. These products are available in pet/feed stores or you can find them online. Avoid the ineffective piperazine-containing wormers. Tapeworms are most often contracted by ingesting a flea that contains a larval tapeworm. You can mechanically remove any fleas on him with a flea comb or a non-insecticidal pet shampoo and then apply a dose of the over the counter spot-on Advantage which is safe to administer even to neonates. (I avoid insecticidal shampoos because they contain insecticides to which fleas have become resistant.)

It's best to repeat the pyrantel pamoate wormer every 2 weeks until he's 12 weeks old or as you're directed by his vet. One dose of the praziquantel wormer should suffice unless he eats another tapeworm-containing flea. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.