Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 31/2 yr. old great dane, mastiff,english mix has vomited

Customer Question

My 31/2 yr. old great dane, mastiff,english bull mix has vomited the last few days, can't seem to hold anything down, what can I give her? She does not eat can dog food, and there is nothing different that I have been giving her, except for a new treat and I do not have the bag that it came in, it was some sort of chicken nuggets in a yellow bag. I stopped giving it to her this or morning, but she vomited what she ate for supper last night, this morning
Janice C. Labbe
Portage Lake, Maine
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Gracie. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Is she able to hold water down at least; is is only when she eats that she vomits? If she is vomiting even the water she drinks, she is in danger of being dehydrated. If she is holding water down, try to keep her hydrated by offering Pedialyte or broth as well as water.

The best treatment depends on what is causing the vomiting. Vomiting can be caused by dozens of things in dogs: Pancreatitis, kidney or liver disease, infection, parasites, eating something indigestible or bad for her, and the list could go on.

Giving pills or anything by mouth for vomiting may not work if it is vomited back up. If you want to try something, you can give her famotidine (Pepcid AC). How much does she weigh? The dose is 20 mg famotidine per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight, twice daily.

Check her gums; do they look pale at all? If so, she should see a veterinarian.

If the famotidine helps, I would continue it for 2 or 3 days. If it does not help, or if she vomits it back up, I would have her checked out by her veterinarian.

Let me know what else I can help with or answer. If this was helpful, kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!); you can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating. I hope she is doing better soon. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Gracie today? I hope you were able to see what I sent. Can I help with or answer anything else?