Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Our mixed terrier, Buddy, age 5 - 6 (not sure he was a

Customer Question

Our mixed terrier, Buddy, age 5 - 6 (not sure he was a rescue) has been acting very strangely. Earlier last evening he was bouncy and seemed fine. We had a snack (his was his dry dog food) and settled in for the night. My husband, per usual, felt the need
to offer Buddy an opportunity to go out to potty around midnight. (this is so unnecessary as Buddy has never had an accident and makes sure someone is aware when he needs to go out even if he has to wake us up.) Anyway, it woke me up as well but I figured
we'd settle back down. Didn't happen. Since that time Buddy has not even laid back down but sits staring at me in my bed and once in awhile whines. If I sit up he proceeds to the back door; to our son's bedroom; to the computer room etc. wanting me to follow,
which I do. I did allow him in the back yard a couple of time... just in case.... but he lumbered out there and disappeared and wouldn't come back for some time then when he finally did come in the process began all over again with him sitting and staring
at me etc. I can't figure out if something is wrong with him or what to do about his behavior. Needless to say it is not 4:55 in the morning and I haven't had much sleep. Any ideas? Could he be having pain (doesn't make any noises like he is but moves slowly
with kind of a lumbering gate. Would giving him an aspirin perhaps be an option just in case? Any help you can give will be appreciated. Right now he crawled under my legs and around for awhile and is once again sitting upright just staring off in space.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Buddy's attention-seeking behavior puzzles owners and vets alike. We see it with both medical disorders and normal but hypervigilant behavior. For example, yes, he could be painful but the pain might be subtle - gastrointestinal cramping or headache, e.g. If behavioral, he might be reacting to an invader in his territory - another animal wandering through your property or at times quite far from your property whom Buddy is detecting through that animal's pheromones. "Watchful waiting" is appropriate at this time. We need to see if additional symptoms arise or Buddy's behavior is transient never to return again. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Buddy. How is everything going?