Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My precious Collie/GS is driving me and mself shaking s

Customer Question

My precious Collie/GS is driving me and himself nuts shaking his ears, and tilting his head..yes..it looks like ear infection since we just went swimming at local lake...algae perhaps? No more night sleeps...need answer
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is quite severe, and he will let me scratch for him, but if I try to clean the area, he becomes irritated with me. I do not know what to do, no sleep tonight.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I agree that Arrow's signs sound like an ear infection. Algae is unlikely but we can see bacterial or yeast infections after swimming in dogs. Now since he has a head tilt, we do have to tread with care since we cannot rule out a possible middle ear infection as well.

In this case, we can start some supportive care but need to be aware that if he doesn't settle, we may need a check with his vet for antibiotics (potentially even oral ones if the middle ear is infected too). In regards ***** ***** for supportive care at home, you will want to flush this ear with saline. You can buy this OTC as first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution. Or you can even make salt water by adding 1tbsp salt to a pint warm water. This will help flush out anything caught and is an antiseptic to reduce bacterial agents. Otherwise, if you were concerned about mites, then an anti-mite spot on (ie Advantage Multi, Stronghold, Revolution) can be used to treat while avoiding putting things into the ears.

Finally, just to help with irritation, you can try Arrow on an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl).A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (not a bad thing just now). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Overall, we do have to be concerned about possible irritants but potential ear infection here. Therefore, we'd want to use the above just now for Arrow. Of course, if we do have infection and since that possible middle ear issue makes using intra-ear medications a risk, we'd need to have his vet check this in the morning to make sure there is no middle ear spread and to get appropriate treatment to clear this for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks nekovet...that helps, now, is it ok for me to apply the saline myself to see if this behavior of tilting head and going nuts shaking his head? Saline sounds great..and the other advice, I copied and pasted. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

Saline is nice and safe, so you can administer that yourself at home. Afterwards, you can even swab it out using cotton balls (no Q-tips, since that could damage the membrane between the middle and external ear) if need be.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks N., how'bout salt water and Benadryl? I am thinking that going to the vet will be the same answers since he is well kept and a young dog who simply went swimming...have a busy day at work today...I know I should take him to the vet, however, do you think that the Benadryl and saline solution, along with Vetecyn...? Are you familiar with that solution?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

You can use both treatments (though remember Benadryl is given orally), but nothing else in the ear. That includes no Vetericyn. Without having your vet checking the membrane between the middle and external ear, no other medications should be put into the ear. This is because a lot of our external ear canal treatments can cause damage to the middle ear (ie deafness, tremors, seizures). So, I would suggest the treatment plan I outlined above while you monitor him. If there is infection or this doesn't settle, then we do need the ear checked since we may need a course of antibiotics to nip this in the bud.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so kindly..having grown up with a father who was the greatest vet in Penna., worked for Dept of Agriculture as the Head Veterinarian, then practiced among six counties..Perry Pet Hospital where I helped as his right arm....makes me miss my late father on this day...Dr. John N. Ersoz...he was also the chair person for the rabies in our nation.
Thanks for the help..
I think I am emotional due to the lack of knowledge that my late father had...:(
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

He sounds like he was quite an accomplished vet and I am sure you have picked up quite a bit from him even if it doesn't feel like it at the moment. :)

Take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with any issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)