Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My Maltese has a severe fungal infection that started in her

Customer Question

My Maltese has a severe fungal infection that started in her ears but now has become all over her body, losing her hair, scratching until it bleeds, odor, lost weight, etc. I have been treating this with no success for over a year with the ear infection longer than that. I have been advised to "put her down" by two vets, my family and friends. But I cannot do that. She is a wonderful companion to me a senior lady of 86. What an I do to cure her.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Because a fungal infection should have at least improved with proper therapy over a year's time, there's reason to believe that Sadie has been misdiagnosed. Please consider having a specialist veterinary dermatologist (see here: www.acvd.org) take a look at her. Can you upload a copy of her test results including fungal culture(s) to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but her vets should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see such an icon) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I'm suspicious that Sadie has a seborrehic condition - a disorder of skin maturation and keratinization - which while incurable can be ameliorated with proper care.

Can you upload a photo of Sadie to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.