Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

I have a 1 yr old pug who ate a while bag of sweetened

Customer Question

I have a 1 yr old pug who ate a while bag of sweetened coconut flakes today while I was away. Do I need to be worried?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Henry was naughty today. Do you know about what time frame he ate the coconut?

Coconut is not toxic to dogs, but the excessive sugar can potentially be toxic. If he ate it a while ago (like more than 2 hours ago), I would offer him just plain protein for dinner such as boiled chicken or scrambled eggs. In the morning you can offer his normal food. Also, ensure that he as access to plenty of water, as excess sugar does make them thirsty. He will also have to urinate more than normal, so make sure he has access to his toileting area.

If he ate it within the last 30 minutes, you can induce vomiting by giving hydrogen peroxide, about 2-3 TBSPs.

I hope this answer helps you. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I already gave him a small dinner of his normal grain free & limited ingredient kibble before noticing and difference in behavior. That came only after he settled down for the evening. I'll keep an eye on him tonight. My wife just took him outside and he's acting more normal now. Thanks again.
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to hear that is he back to acting normal this evening. I hope it is quiet and uneventful. I am getting ready to log off for the night, but if you have more questions, I will be back in the morning.

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for answering your question. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda