Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My 3 yr old dog had a problem this week with impacted poo.

Customer Question

My 3 yr old dog had a problem this week with impacted poo. The vet saw him and had to shave him. The area seems to be irated and I was wondering if we could give him an antibiotic (Nitrofurantoin) he panting and his tongue feels a little hot.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Bruza is sick. Were you able to take his temperature via rectum? This is the only accurate way to determine a dog's body temperature. The normal for a dog is 100.5 to 102.5 degrees.

When you say that he had impacted feces, was it collected on the surface of the skin or stuck inside the rectum?

Does he now have a rash on the skin around the anus? For that I would recommend applying a triple antibiotic ointment to the irritated, shaved skin. This will minimize infection which will help the skin to heal quickly.

I would not recommend giving him the Nitrofurantoin. We very rarely use that antibiotic on dogs and it is minimally useful. There are other antibiotics that are much more effective for dogs.

I hope this answer helps you. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for answering your question. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda