Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

13 pound rat terrier chihuahua mix ate several cherry

Customer Question

13 pound rat terrier chihuahua mix ate several cherry chocolate oatmeal cookies. We induced vomitting with Hydrogen Peroxide and got a lot of "cookie" out. What else should we do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I can understand why you'd be so worried about your dog since she/he's so small but there probably wasn't enough chocolate in the cookies to pose a toxicity issue for him/her. But, on the off chance that there was, it's good that you were able to eliminate most of it from her/his stomach.

At this point, I wouldn't feed her/him for several hours since she/he may continue to feel nauseous. She/he may or may not actively vomit again but she/he may still feel nauseous enough that if she/he eats, she/he'll bring it right back up.

Then, when you do offer food, I'd feed a blander diet of boiled chicken and rice, probably for just that next meal or possibly the one after as well.

I wouldn't necessarily expect any looser stools but if they should develop, I'd continue the bland diet until the issue resolves (which should be within another day or so).

I also wouldn't expect any adverse consequences from whatever cookie might remain in her system in terms of significant side effects such as restlessness, pacing, panting, hyperactivity.

I hope this helps to reassure you about her. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

The site has changed its policy recently such that I need to click on a separate box to indicate that you can now rate my response should you choose to do so. Since I inadvertently neglected to follow this new procedure, I'm sending this follow up message with the box clicked.

My apologies for any confusion this might cause. Deb