Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Gardner sprayed Bayer Advanced insect disease and mite

Customer Question

Gardner sprayed Bayer Advanced insect disease and mite control on the flower bed.
- Westie puppy - 4 mos old ate bark from the bed
- has been throwing up
Do we take to vet? Or let him keep throwing up
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Luckily the primary ingredient Imidacloprid is a safe insecticide. It has low toxicity in mammals as there is a much lower concentration of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in mammalian nervous tissue as compared to insects.

Imidacloprid is approved for use in puppies as young as 7 weeks of age and in kittens as young as 8 weeks of age. With oral exposure, salivation or vomiting is occasionally seen.

Due to the large safety margin of imidacloprid, signs are rarely seen. Signs of toxicity would be expected to be similar to nicotinic signs and symptoms, including lethargy, muscle fasiculations, tremors, and muscle weakness.

So at this point you can monitor at home. I will give guidelines when a veterinary visit is warranted but since he is actively vomiting please remove all food and water for now to allow the nausea and stomach spasms to subside...

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode along with no water

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 20 mg 1/4 tablet daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one teaspoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting him comfortable

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen. In addition the above symptoms of muscle tremors, muscle weakness as well

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

In addition, the other ingredients tau-fluvalinate and tebuconazole can cause muscle tremors as well, ataxia (walking drunk), and hyperreactive to his surroundings so watching for these symptoms

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. I am online another 30 minutes tonight

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon, how is your puppy doing today? Did the vomiting subside? I would love an update when you are able!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am online for a few hours now to assist you but would love an update, thanks!