Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I found a tick on my dog I didn't know it was a tick thought

Customer Question

I found a tick on my dog I didn't know it was a tick thought it was a lump but later it was gone found it in her bed fully gorged and in tact..she has ßome swelling where it was..what should I do? Contact my vet,will my dog get lime disease,I have the tick can they check it for disease?what do I need to do for my dog?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Quit pissing around and send me my answer or I will report you and stop payment through Paypal...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Show me your response

With respect it takes me some ten to fifteen minutes or so to consider your question and then type up a reply for you. I am in the process of doing this now.

Clearly you are upset with the site in some way, would you like me to continue?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please just don't like all these pop ups asking for more money when it was hard for me to pay you for your answer, not knowing if it would be a scam or not...and all I want is your professional opinion. On what steps I should take..

No problem, I know the site can be frustrating at times but I have have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. The good news is that ticks are very commonly found on dogs and in most cases they are harmless, they suck blood for a few days and then fall off. They may leave a little swelling at the bite site but this will usually resolve on it's own.

2. Most tick bites do not in fact lead to disease but as you know in a minority of cases they can transit disease such as Lyme disease, hopefully your dog has got away with it but if you do note any adverse symptoms such as lethargy, inappetance, or problems getting about then you should have your dog checked over by a local vet without delay.

3. You may want to start using the likes of Frontline on a regular basis to stop any further tick infestations.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Please get straight back to me if you want to talk any of the above points over with me, I am online now ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you but rather than wait for her to show symptoms my dog is due a check up so should I take the tick so they can test it?

Hello again, Very glad to talk this over with you further ...

1. Even if the tick was carrying the Lyme disease bacteria there is no guarantee it will pass it on, and there could be problems with isolating the bacteria from the tick. If I was dealing with such a case and wanted to to everything possible then I would probably blood test the dog for signs of infection one week after the tick bite and then again one week after that. If the results of the blood test were in any way indicative of an infection I would start a course of a suitable antibiotic at that point even if the dog was not showing symptoms.

2. Some vets would start a preventative course of antibiotics right now in any case.

3. However the chances of a dog getting Lyme disease from just one tick bit would be very slim indeed so hopefully things will be just fine.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Here is a link to an accurate article which covers Lyme disease in dogs : LINK

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the tick incident ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.