Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My old English bully dog broke out with red circles all over

Customer Question

My old English bully dog broke out with red circles all over her with knots what could this be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

There are many possible causes for what you describe. Do you think you could attach a picture (using the paperclip icon?). That might be most useful.

Are these new and only appeared in the past 24 hours? Are they itchy?

Thank you for answering my questions. It helps me to get you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just noticed them again today she's been battle in it for the past two weeks I took her to the vet an they said its hives but it'll go away with meds. Then it comes back.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Recurrent hives can be tricky to figure out the cause, but well worth trying to work through some common underlying causes. They are an acute hypersensitivity reaction. I assume your veterinarian has done skin scrapings to look for mites (demodex and sarcoptes) and bacteria and yeast. If not, then this is a starting point. If bacteria, yeast or mites are found then treating this may help resolve the problem. I also assume you have done a good bath with her weekly since these starting occurring in case this is a topical irritation.

Drugs, bugs and food allergies are the most common causes of hives. That's a wide list and tough to narrow down. If on any drugs, then stopping this is a good idea. You can also discuss doing a hypoallergenic food trial with your vet. This is not as simple as changing brands, and most dogs are not allergic to gluten or grains (that is a marketing ploy); they are commonly allergic to proteins such as beef, chicken or milk. So, a hypoallergenic food trial involves feeding a diet either with a new ingredient she's never seen or a hydrolyzed diet for 8-12 weeks. I would also change the class of heart worm preventive, just in case this is an atypical reaction.

As well, lab work is very important to look for internal causes or immune system changes. Any tumor/masses in the body (sometimes mast cell tumor can trigger these type of reactions but can be hiding internally in the spleen)? Has anything changed in the yard or the household (new cleaners, sprays carpets, etc)? If so, then this could be the culprit. Most people want to blame this on food, but this is unlikely to be the cause.

If these continue to recur and we cannot figure out the cause, then I recommend you have your veterinarian refer you to your closest veterinary dermatologist, who may want to do intradermal skin testing to try to figure out the cause (bee/wasp hypersensitivity?).

These cases are tough and can take weeks to figure out. AS long as it responds to antihistamine +/- steroids then we can at least control her itching.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Sugar. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey