Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

I have a little chihuahua who started vomiting this morning

Customer Question

Hello, I have a little chihuahua who started vomiting this morning and the started bleeding from her rectum, kinda of mucousy, and raspberries textured appearance... I am giving her pedialyte by sips only, she wants to drink a lot of water...I can't afford to take her to a Hosp. Is there something I can do for her.....
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello there, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear that lil bit isn't feeling well. Based on your description of what is going on with her, it sounds like she is quite sick. The most common syndrome to cause the symptoms you are describing is called Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis, or HGE. We often see "rasberry jam" looking diarrhea along with vomiting with this syndrome. Unfortunately dogs can get very sick quickly without treatment. You can read a description of the treatment at the link below. The main thing dogs need for this treatment is fluid therapy (via an IV or sometimes under the skin if they aren't too sick yet) and antinausea injections. Unfortunately you cannot provide these at home. I would advise finding a hospital that will take Care Credit (you can apply for a Care Credit account online) or a similar service, or perhaps a family member may be able to help you out. The treatment may be less expensive if you get her there before she gets too sick. The longer you wait, the more likely she will require longer hospitalization.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2946

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

I hope you received my response about Lil Bit and were able to get her in to see a vet. Did you have any other questions for me?

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lynn,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lil Bit. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay