Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My beagle was diagnosed with tcc last year he is on proxicam

Customer Question

My beagle was diagnosed with tcc last year he is on proxicam and he has been coughing during the night and day as well a dry cough he eats fine his front paws shake when he goes out side and he goes upstairs slow . Could his cancer be spreading? He throws up juice sometimes and other times it's like a yack his paws are always cold too
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Bruiser. I'm so sorry you've been through so much with him already and are worried about these new changes.

(typing more)

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I am worried about my dog and I am going to take him to vet tomorrow I wanted some advice
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Could this coughing and vomiting indicate his cancer is spreading. The unfortunate answer is yes, that's very likely.

I wish I had better news for you, but I'm worried about that possibility.

It could be other things, too... That's why I'd recommend having it checked out by your vet.

Good. I see now that you're here to chat...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What should I be looking for ? Would he stop eating ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He wags his tail a lot and loves treats still I just don't know and I am worried
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

The coughing and vomiting themselves are reason enough to worry, even though he is still eating okay and wagging his tail. With that in mind, however, the things your vet will want to know tomorrow are as follows:

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
  • Has there been weight loss?
  • Is he getting his medication as directed?
  • Decrease or increase in appetite?
  • Changes in urination or defecation habits?
  • How frequently is he vomiting?
  • What does he vomit?
  • Is he panting more or restless?
  • What is his energy level like?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He does pant more and is restless could it be from the proxicam yes there has been weight loss and he eats like he always did
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His energy seems to be ok sometimes but he is tired and sleeps a lot
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

This makes it easy to come up with a list things that are going well and things that are not, but unfortunately none of this will tell you for sure if his cancer is coming back or not. That's why I'm glad you're going to the vet tomorrow. That's the only way to find out for sure.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Does this information help to answer your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm glad I could help. You're in a tough situation and my heart goes out to you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response so I may receive credit for helping you tonight. If you are not, please let me know how else I can be of assistance.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm just checking in to ask how things are going with Bruiser. I've been worried and wondering how you're doing.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Just one final check to ask if there's anything else I can help you with in regards ***** *****

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bruiser. How is everything going?
Dr. Jo