How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 14840
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our dog just ate some Reese's peanut butter cups about 8

Customer Question

Our dog just ate some Reese's peanut butter cups about 8 ounces trying to determine if we need to make him throw up or not
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
I'm sorry to hear that your fellow has eaten some chocolate, Reese's Peanut Butter cups.

Though chocolate can be toxic for dogs the good news is that they need to eat a certain amount to cause symptoms.

Luckily Reese's Peanut Butter cups are only about 1/2 chocolate, so he ingested no more than 4-5 ounces of pure milk chocolate.

If he weighs more than 30-35 pounds then this amount of pure milk chocolate would not cause him to show any symptoms.

If he weighs less then you should induce vomiting.

You can give him 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 pounds of body weight soaked up with bread or a small amount of food.

Then take him outside and run him around to get the peroxide bubbling so he vomits.

If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide bread dose once.

If he vomits and seems to clear his stomach and be done I would check to see if most or all of the chocolate is present.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Once he stops vomiting and empties his stomach I would encourage you to get him to drink as much as possible and to get him out to urinate frequently. Chocolate toxins are metabolized out through the kidneys and can be reabsorbed from the bladder so we don't want them to sit in the bladder for long.

In most cases mild chocolate toxicity is out of their system in 24 to 48 hours. We generally begin to see symptoms, if they eat a toxic amount, within 4 to 6 hours.
Later today if he seems at all nauseous it may help to with-hold food for the next 12 hours to stop intestinal spasms.
To try and settle his stomach you can give either:
1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at 1/4 of a 10mg tablet per 5-10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at 1/4 of a 10mg tablet per 5-10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and should help him feel less nauseous. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if needed.

Then after his 12 hours food fast to decrease the symptoms of stomach upset you can feed a bland diet for the next couple of days. A homemade bland diet is a mix of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or lean boiled hamburger and 2/3 boiled, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow. Feed small meals frequently.
If you do notice a very rapid heart rate (more than 160 to 180 beats per minute in a small dog) repetitive tremors, or seizures then he should be seen by a veterinarian on an emergency basis for treatment. They can use injectable medications to control his heart rate and stop the seizures until the toxic levels fall.
Best of luck, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any additional questions?

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara