Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My 74 lb German Shepherd just ate a whole bag of Dasuquin

Customer Question

My 74 lb German Shepherd just ate a whole bag of Dasuquin with MSM soft chews (84) and about 10 petite greenies. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Athena but happy to reassure you that even though she ingested the products you mention, they aren't likely to be toxic for her. She might vomit within 30-60 minutes or she might develop diarrhea within 12-24 hours; these are the most commonly seen side effects.

However, having said that, there have been rare instances of dogs developing liver injury after ingestion of large amounts of joint supplements so it might be prudent to induce vomiting if she ingested the chews and greenies < 2 hours ago and if you have 3% hydrogen peroxide.

The dose would be 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight, mixed with bread and then walk her around. Repeat the dose in 15 minutes, if necessary. Not all dogs will vomit when peroxide is given but most will.

If she doesn't vomit and/or it's been longer than 2 hours, then I'd continue to monitor her for any unusual behavior such as lethargy, increased thirst/urination or diarrhea which persists. If any of those signs develop, then a vet visit may be prudent.

The majority of dogs will be just fine after over-ingestion of these products; I certainly hope that's the case with Althena.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

The site has changed its policy recently such that I need to click on a separate box to indicate that you can rate my response if you should choose to do so. Since I inadvertently neglected to follow the new procedure, I'm sending this follow up message with the box clicked.

My apologies for any confusion this might cause. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Athena. How are things going with her? Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

I hope your response means that Athena is just fine and that she didn't experience any problems after ingestion of the Dasaquin and greenies.

Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hi Marcia,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Athena. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb