Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

We have a 6 month old male puppy. he has black stool, won't

Customer Question

we have a 6 month old male puppy. he has black stool, won't drink water only milk, is very lethargic. and is vomiting dark "stuff", has a runny nose. we thought he may have eaten a frog. does this make sense? it almost sounds like he swallowed something that injured him internally. what do you think.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess and I hope I can help you with Simba. It sounds like he is not feeling well. Has Simba had any vaccines yet? If so, how many has he had and when was the last vaccine? Is there anything in the house he could have gotten into?

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Whatever is going on with Simba, based on your description he sounds very sick, and I would recommend taking him to the vet ASAP (this would be considered an emergency in my book, especially if he is lethargic). If he has black stool and is vomiting dark stuff, this is a sign that he could have bleeding in his digestive tract, which is not a matter that should wait, especially in a young, small dog. The other thing we worry about in young dogs if they haven't had a full series of vaccines and are having vomiting, lethargy, and diarrhea is a disease called parvovirus (there is a test your veterinarian can do to test for this). Other worries we would have given Simba's symptoms would be a GI ulcer, internal bleeding from ingesting rodent bait, a foreign object having been eaten and causing bleeding in his intestinal tract. All of these are serious problems that cannot be addressed at home, and he should be seen by a veterinarian to be examined and treated.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

I hope that you received my response about Simba's problems. If you have any additional questions, please let me know.