Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Does fee include med name?

Customer Question

Does fee include med name?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance.

I am not able to view all of your question. Can you please explain what problem you have having with your pet so that I can better assist you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I gave my Pom age 14 an off brand treat and he is now itch need to know if I could give him human allergy med a year ago he had medicine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Waiting for answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do not switch to talk
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

If you are thinking that the treat may have caused an allergic reaction and you are asking if you can give benadryl, that would be safe to do. The dose is 1-2 mg per pound that your dog weighs so a 20 lb dog would get between 20 to 40 mg. This can be repeated two times per day. The pill that is available over the counter is typically 25 mg. so you may need to go with the children's liquid form which is typically 12.5 mg/teaspoon (or 2.5 mg/cc). Make sure that there are no other "cold-type" medications in it like decongestants.

If you are asking if it is safe to give something else, I would need to know what you are wanting to give.