How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Amanda Your Own Question
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 799
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Amanda is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our 45 pound dog.... a lab mix ate a Marijuana chocolate

Customer Question

Our 45 pound dog.... a lab mix ate a Marijuana chocolate edible left here by a recent guest. We did not know it was here...and don't use the stuff so we don't know how strong it is...should we have her stomach pumped?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Hi,

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your dog is indulging in your guest's treats. In terms of the toxicity of the treat, I am much more concerned about the chocolate than the marijuana. About how large was the treat? Was it a brownie or a dark chocolate cube? How is your dog acting now? Any change in behavior? Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Chocolate is toxic to dogs because it acts like a stimulant. The dogs will get high heart rate, high blood pressure, hyperactivity, vomiting and diarrhea. Mild chocolate and brownies are usually not very toxic unless the dogs eats a very large quantity, but dark chocolate can be much more toxic.

Marijuana in dogs is a downer. They will become lethargic, weak, ataxic (loss of balance), small pupils, drooling, dribbling urine and very slow to respond. At very high doses, they can become hypothermic, have seizures and lose consciousness. Most of the time dogs are eating the actual dried plant or treats with the plant baked into it. This usually means that they are not getting nearly enough to become life threatening but they will become "stoned." I recommend wrapping them in a blanked and placing them in a quiet dark room to sleep it off. Most lose their appetites (different from humans) and all will not drink while intoxicated.

I hope this answer helps you. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Hi,

How is your dog this evening? Any problems with the chocolate or the marijuana? Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for answering your question. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Hi,

I haven’t hear back from you in a while. How is your pet this evening? Do you have any more question for me? If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for answering your question. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda