Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My male yorkie, about to turn 4 years of age has a swollen

Customer Question

Hi, My male yorkie, about to turn 4 years of age has a swollen gland or lymph node on the left side of his neck only. I just noticed this today. Coincidentally, he has a Vet appt. on Monday because I have found 2 scabs on cuts or scratches on his trunk which I believe are the result of rough housing with our new yorkie puppy. I am so terribly concerned about the swelling in his neck that I'm asking for some preliminary advice. Thank you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello there, this is Dr. Jess and I am sorry to hear about your worries about Walter. Let me ask a few additional questions about Walter to know a better idea of how Walter is doing. Is he acting normally at home? Eating and drinking normally? normal activity level? Normal bowel movements? Any pain? Are the cuts on his trunk very deep and is there any swelling around them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Walter is acting totally normal. Eating and drinking normally. Activity is normal. Bowel movements normal. The cuts or scratches on his trunk are scabbed over. I don't notice any swelling around them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is anyone there?
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Ok, that is all great news. I am glad you have an appointment at your vet on Monday, because it is a good idea to have the vet look him over, but based on how he is behaving at home, it is not an emergency he be seen and waiting until Monday should be ok. If at any point he does become lethargic or stops eating, then you should bring him in earlier. If the swelling is only on one side of his neck then it is possible that he has a swollen gland due to an issue or infection in his mouth/involving his teeth, involving his ear, or another area on the face/neck that is drained by that lymph node. Dogs can also get inflammation in the salivary glands which are right next to the lymph nodes in the neck. Your vet will be able to check Walter's mouth and look for signs of any dental issues. They will also be able to feel the other lymph nodes in Walter's body and be sure that they are not also enlarged. If no other lymph nodes are enlarged, they may decide to put Walter on an antibiotic to see if he improves with that treatment. Another course of action, which is more important if more than one lymph node is enlarged, would be to aspirate the lymph node (this involves sticking a small needle into the lymph node, which most dogs tolerate very well) to get a sample of the cells to look at or send off to a pathologist for identification.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. I hope that information gave you a bit of an idea of what to expect and relieved some of your concern about Walter. Do you have any other questions I didn't answer that I can help you with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I basically knew everything you told me anyway after doing research on the Internet.
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Best of luck with your appointment with Walter then!

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

If you have a moment to rate the answer you received, so that we can keep track of whether or not you were happy with this service, I would greatly appreciate it, and will be able to mark your question as closed/answered. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will do that.
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Marshall is not doing well. What medication is Marshall taking right now? Has he had any bloodwork done recently? Do you know the results?

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

So sorry, that was a response to another patient question, the system seems to be lagging behind tonight and didn't put my reply in the correct patient's folder. I apologize for the confusion!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I get off this thing? I don't have a dog named Marshall.
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

There should be a box on the upper right hand of your screen with stars that you can click on (from 1 on up to 5 stars), then once you have indicated how many stars you would like to give as your rating there should be a "finish" button to click next to the stars.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are stars and "Submit" but it won't let me click on them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Somehow, I cannot end this conversation. Are you supposed to end it on your end?
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately I can't end it until it has been rated. I am new to this service and it seems like the website is being very slow/difficult tonight, perhaps they are having system issues and I apologize for that! Perhaps try again later, or if there is a "help" or "tech support" link you could try that. The screen that I view is different than yours. So sorry for the frustration!