Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

WHAT KIND OF TREATMENT is necessary 16 pd bichon who ate a

Customer Question

WHAT KIND OF TREATMENT is necessary for a 16 pd bichon who ate a piece of dark choclate 1 inch squ,are Piece
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Can you please give me the name of the chocolate ingested or an approximate weight of the square so that I can calculate the level of concern with this ingestion?

In addition, how long ago was this ingestion?

Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Regardless, I would recommend if your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (1 & 1/2 teaspoons for Pixie) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

OK let's say this was 1/2 ounce of dark chocolate. The risk is mild:

Symptoms may include:

• GI Upset
  • Vomiting
  • Shaking

Symptoms of concern that are less likely with this quantity and should be evaluated by a veterinary er include

• Tremors
  • Seizures
  • Hyperactivity
  • Fast or irregular heart rate
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. How is Pixie doing today? Any issues with the chocolate? I would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!