How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Whitehead Your Own Question
Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 4055
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Whitehead is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I think my dog may have ate mouse poision sometime during

Customer Question

I think my dog may have ate mouse poision sometime during the day today, not sure when. She weighs about 90lbs and is acting normal.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Talulla and her possibility of eating mouse poison. I am happy to help you this evening. If you are unsure of the timing it may be a good idea to induce vomiting still using hydrogen peroxide at a dose of 1 tablespoon per 10 lbs of body weight. make her drink it, wait 15 minutes and repeat if she hasn't vomited. If she vomits look for the green color of the poison. If she vomits it up then at least she got some of it out of her system. But she still has been exposed. She needs to be seen by your vet. Mouse poison, the most common kind such as D-con, can take up to 2 to 3 days to have its effects on the body. So if you cannot have her seen tonight then have her seen first thing in the morning. She will have to monitored closely for the effects it has which is spontaneous bleeing. Your vet will be able to give her high doses of vitamin k for a while to help reverse these toxins but she will need to be watched closely. It would be best to have her vomit and seen tonight though

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** throw up and there doesn't appear to be any poision in her vomit, we aren't sure if she did get to the actual bait, the corner of the case was chewed. Would we see the poison in her vomit?
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

If it was recent enough you should see some signs of it. But it would be safer to contact your vet tomorrow and get her started on Vitamin K just in case. But hopefully she didn't get into it, but its always better to be safe than sorry.