Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My 12 year old mini Austrailian has moderate ndquarter

Customer Question

My 12 year old mini Austrailian has moderate hindquarter instability (walks fine), and muscle atrophy, but seemingly no pain, and likes long walks. That doesn't seem to fit with descriptions I find online. Any thoughts?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P.S. This has been a problem for maybe six months, and does not seem progressive. He is not incontinent, and can climb stairs, but not with push off from both hind legs as formerly; he has to walk up, and it seems awkward because of unfamiliar
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cont: interestingly, when "shocked" by cold water or static electricity on his feet, or on certain occasions when he sees a rabbit, he can gallop and even bound.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
More :-) He has trouble getting to his feet (especially on wood floors), apparently 'cause he can't easily get his hind legs in a position beneath him to push off.
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Yes, this is DRB and I would be happy to help you. The reason this does not fit with what you are finding online is because dog's do not show pain the way people expect. The muscle atrophy alone proves there is pain. I am a certified canine rehab therapist and the most common complaint I hear from owners is that dog's don't act like they are in pain.The bot***** *****ne is you have to know what to look for.....dogs by their nature do not like to show any weakness at all because in the wild they were killed when they showed weakness.The domestic dog does not know the difference and does not know to distinguish their owners from any other members of a dog pack. So, your dog is in pain, no matter what he does when he sees a rabbit. Dogs follow instinct, not common sense. I would strongly recommend that you find a vet who is well versed in pain management like myself (CCRT) and have your pet evaluated because he either has severe DJD or severe neurological disease. Either way, he is uncomfortable. The only way dogs show pain is by limping, walking funny, developing muscle atrophy or showing difficulty in rising. I hope this helps you and I am available for follow up questions. I check my computer each night and will get back to you. Sincerely, DRB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thanks!
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you need further help.DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Please hit rate my service as this is the only way I am compensated. And I am happy to help with follow up questions. Thank you very much.

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr B