Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

We have a 1 year old Chihuahua and when she walks little she

Customer Question

We have a 1 year old Chihuahua and when she walks for a little she starts having this foamy drool all over her mouth. They took her to the vet and they said it's not rabies. We don't know if she ate something that was poisonous or if it's from something else. If you can please give us some light on this matter
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Was this a one-time incident that occurred? If so, then you may be correct that she licked something that had a bitter or foul taste. Alternatively, foaming can also come from a primary mouth lesion (ulcer, tooth problem, etc) or from profound nausea.

I do hope this incident has passed. If so, then her licking something that tasted foul, but was not detrimental was the most likely cause.

If this is a recurrent problem, then you and your vet do need to search for either a mouth lesion or a problem that would cause her to be nauseated. Rarely I do see dogs who get so excited during exercise they will foam a bit at the mouth naturally.

Please let me know what questions you have.